Too often an ad will have too much information, be too confusing, have too many offers or not run often enough. Coupon advertising is, by its nature, provided in a small space. We have seen many clients try to cram too much information into this space thinking that they will get more leads, but this is not true. We have also seen clients not give their ad enough time in the market to see a true response rate. There are a few good reasons for this:
- When designing your ad consider each ad as a specific, narrow statement about one item or service. Don’t clutter your message with more information than the customer needs, your goal is for the customer to call you so that you can solve their specific problem.
- Avoid confusion! Identify the main point of the advertisement, make sure you have one specific statement that is believable and factual.
- Stay away from too many offers. If you must have multiple offers limit them to no more than two to three. Avoid exaggerated claims or vague statements. And, focus your ad on what the customer wants by identifying a product or service that is relevant for the time or season.
- Once you have an offer that is working, keep using it!
- Repetition is essential in assuring increased response. Repetition reinforces your offer and the more often you put the offer or information about your offer before the customer the more likely you are to generate a sale. Too often business owners look to make one big, bold statement and spend a large sum of their advertising budget in the process and these “big, bold” efforts are not as successful as planned. Most of us are slow to grasp an offer either because we do not see the need or the timing is not right. Repetition of your offer combined with a targeted message will increase your chances of making a sale.
Coupon advertising is not rocket science, but it is wise to follow certain rules or guidelines to be successful. By following the rules suggested above you will enhance your chances for a direct mail advertisement program.
Now, it’s your turn! Let me know what has worked for you and why. If you want to challenge my observations, I sincerely want to hear from you. Golden Mailer is trying to identify as many business owners in the community as possible, to share ideas, opinions, and experiences, to help you increase your commercial opportunities. Your participation would be very useful, and we would love to share your insights in future posts.